Monday, June 16, 2008

Bubble Gum by Demeter


Hebrew Bazooka available at popjudaica.com

Ahh, back to smells.

A few weeks ago at Henri Bendel, I fell in love with Encens et Bubblegum by Etat Libre d'Orange. The scent is by Antoine Maisondieu (an excellent review is available at review at the Scented Salamander.) and I adored the bubblegum note but I find the packaging of the American edition of these scents just a little too-too. As if we wouldn't understand the double (single?) entendre titles without a graphic illustration in Adobe Illustrator.



I love Christopher Brosius's work and while ordering a gift for a friend included a little bottle of Demeter's Bubble Gum mini Pick Me Up spray as a treat for myself. Admittedly, I don't know if this is one of the pre-2002 Brosius collaborations or a newer edition.

The scent cold-cocked me with a blast of wintergreen.

It's gum allright, but not the Hubba Bubba / Bubble Yum platonic form of my youth, but the Bazooka / Double Bubble notion of a slightly earlier generation. It even recalled the old-school Beemans available at Economy Candy

It's not what I was expecting at all, but it's so brisk and cool I find it to be awesome for layering. Combined with Tommy Girl the result is so cool, fresh and weird it was like listening to some cerebral French dude channeling Yakov Smirnov to tell you about America. "What a country!"


Available at the Book Depository

2 comments:

Ayala Moriel said...

LOL at the Hebrew Bazooka. That's what we loved to chew on as kids. BTW - there is a bit of trivia at the bottom of the cartoon, that gives away a trick for how to lower your military profile-score by up to 17 points. Hint: It has something to do with disco.

the oblitterati said...

I love it! I will have to call up my yeshiva educated friends to translate the 17 point trick. My hebrew skills are such that in making my own ketubah I inadvertently copied he same line twice.