Friday, May 2, 2008

Serge Lutents: Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

In high school, my friend Sophie and I once went indow shopping at the downtown Barneys. We were expecting to be ignored but instead we were swarmed by sales associates in empty palacial store. A little embarassed we told them that we were just having a look around and couldn't afford any of the Costume National and Comme des Garcons fashions on the racks. The associates giggled and started bringing out jeweled catsuits for us to try on. We got fully decked out and Sophie pointed out that the store soundtrack was the best mix of girlgroup songs we'd never heard, and quickly a dance party ensued.

The uptown Barneys is somewhat more inclined towards commerce and as such I don't go very often because the sales associates treat me like week old herring when I browse there. The other day, I stopped in on my way to Bergdorfs and mentioned to the dour associate at the fragrance counter that I had just started a scent blog. Immediatly he vanished and the sweetest, most cheerful associate appeared and started chatting with me about scent fandom, Sniffapalooza and he new scents he had on hand. He suggested I try Five O'Clock Au Gingembre. The great Perfume Smellin' Things has just reviewed this scent, but my experience was completely different. Maybe my impressions are clored by my pleasan encounter with the sales associate but I found Five O'Clock to be absolutely beautiful and a little bit rough, like crystallized ginger. Unlike most spice scents which hang close in a hot red velvet haze, this one was lovely and dry. Just a little bit dusky, it still had the fresh qualities of Ginger that I love so much in Demeter's Ginger Ale. As music it could be a harpsichord fuge or a slightly louche Parisian accordion ballad.

Update! Now available at Luckyscent

2 comments:

the oblitterati said...

I forgot to include this in the post: On the subject of rough things like crystallized ginger, Benoit Mandelbrot is speaking about fractals and roughness in nature on May 13th. Let me know if you are interested and I can send you more information.

Interior Designers Denver said...

Hi niice reading your post